Click the link to read more...
Before I go any further, how amazing is that line from the Young Rob Jennings: "King Kong and Santa Claus take the day off to cheer for the Eagles!" Really? King Kong has that many sick days? And Santa, what the heck do you think you're doing? You're busy one time of the year, and you take a day off to root for the Eagles? No wonder you got pelted with snowballs, batteries and battery-filled snowballs back in the '60's. You're lazy!
Anyways, moving on. Did you hear that song? That song has been the theme to Philadelphia news as long as I can remember, and for good reason: It rocks. The Action News Theme Song gets me pumped up for news more than any other song I have ever heard, ever. Young Rob Jennings could have said anything after that theme song, and I would have been pumped to hear about it. I can just imagine myself now, listening to the closing seconds of the song...
Action News Theme Song: Dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, du-nuh-nuh-nuh-nah!I actually got that pumped up over campaign finance reform once. And you know why? The Action News Theme Song.
Me: Oh man, this news is gonna rock so hard!
Rob Jennings: City Council members spent seven hours debating campaign finance reform today. Here are the highlights...
Me: Campaign finance reform, alright! Woo!
Seriously, I can't get enough of it.
Can you believe that it's barely changed one iota in the past 30 years?
So, once Rhi and I are in Los Angeles, what kind of local news theme songs will we be treated to?
Ew. I feel dirty after watching that. Where's the attitude and action? Where's the urgency? Where's the in-your-face-icity? It's not there, because only WPVI's Action News provides it! Oh, how I'll miss you Action News Theme Song.
I wonder if I can get a cell phone ringer of it.
BLOTWMWWAFP™ so far:
1. Phillies Games
2. Action News Theme Song

4 comments:
your blog is inspiring me to think about all the things I'd miss if I was moving away. I'll try and stay away from all of the trite things that everyone says: pretzels, tasty cakes and cheese steaks, but I'm afraid I won't find any quite as creative as the Action News Theme song. Here are a couple anyway: Wawa on every block; Fat Joey Merlino; Daily reports on the outrageous Vince Fuomo; Kelly Drive; the chip on my shoulder when I hear the words "New York";the Market-Frakford El; Indepedence Hall; My mom; being deeply concerned about the development of the Delaware Water Front; David Dye; the Birds. I'll see if I can't come up with a few more. -Phil-
Never fear! Action News has the same song all over the whole country.
When I moved away to college the Action News song was high on my list of things that provided the ultimate comfort. Of course I didn't watch the news for an entire semester, but one day I had channel 6 on by accident at newstime and I actually let out a squeal of delight when I heard the song.
The theme song to M*A*S*H makes me feel the same way.
I always loved that jingle.
Thanks for linking to my blog!
Caren
The Action New Theme was available on a one sided 45 record, for something like $.25, circa '71. I believe it was performed by a PA University Band. I'm trying to track down this recording. Action News doesn't have a clue. The full version is much longer than what's played on TV.
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/
John
Post a Comment