Thursday, July 17, 2008

Trip to Philly, Pt. 2: Friends and Family

I tend to get stressed out when I have much to do and not enough time to do it. Usually, I'd rather plan as few activities as possible because I figure if you have low expectations, it feels good when you actually accomplish something. Rhianwen, however, has a different take on the matter entirely.

So despite having a fairly packed schedule with Christine's wedding and surrounding activities as it is, we decided to pack in even more with seeing as many people as we could in a very short amount of time. Thank God Rhianwen was there to do all the effort making. (Not that I didn't want to see friends and family to begin with; I'm just lazy.)

First we have the Papas, who we stayed with for part of the trip. Though we didn't get to spend as much time with Gary and Kathy as we would have liked, we did have one fun afternoon of swimming with Nathaniel and Tucker. Here's a brief glimpse.


That big red ball caused many an injury that day. It was a great blessing and fun to hang out with the Papas, but we really didn't get enough time. You guys should just come out to LA and hang out with us for a week if you're reading this.

Later, we hung out with the Benners/Schmidts for a pool party and BBQ. Almost everyone showed up, even the beloved Aunt Marge, so Rhi and I were really happy. It was nice to see everyone, and I must say these photos makes us look downright functional! Way to go, gang!



We also went and visited the Tomosky side as well. Here we are on the porch of good ol' 9 Woodside Ave.


It was heartening to see my grandpop, who is always fighting illness of some sort, sitting on the porch playing solitaire when we arrived, just as he always did when I was a kid. Note: Not pictured is my mom, who was working but did visit with Rhi and I later that night (forgot to take pictures, unfortunately).

Rhianwen managed to cram in an early morning breakfast with Coco (the greatest little girl in the world), Seher (the great mom of said little girl), and Esfandyar (the great little newborn addition to their family). Rhianwen used to nanny Coco and they formed a special bond, so it was very important that they get to spend a little time together.


And who wouldn't want to spend a little time with a little girl as cute as that? I'd like all my imaginary future daughters to be like Coco, please.

Elsewhere, there was the Lozanos. We stayed with Phil and Rachel for a day, and it felt just like home. Probably because we lived in their home for about a month. Hanging out with them and Matt and Jenn and all their kids was fantastic. And considering it hasn't been that long since we last saw them, it's amazing to see how much the kids have grown.




What a great blessing it is to have you guys as friends. You should totally come live in LA (Phil, you can be my agent).

And finally, we got to see Adam, Megan, Edan, Jen, Rob and Aiden, two of our favorite couples. Here's a picture of Edan checking out Aiden:




And finally, here's Jen playing with the new Alcoholic Elmo doll.


That's right, parents. Now Elmo can demand of your child a drink whenever he's feeling thirsty. A phrase that wasn't captured on film: "Come on kid, Elmo's gettin' the shakes!"

Rhianwen also spent time with her mom for her birthday, going to see an IMAX movie at the Franklin Institute. I got to play basketball with Greg, who fouled the crap out of me the whole time because he's a dirty filthy cheater who can't play fair. Unfortunately, we didn't get photos of these events. Sigh. Sorry guys, we still love you! (Except you, Greg. I have bruises.)

No comments: