Monday, April 28, 2008

Road Trip: Day 5


The respected theologian and cat of the world Garfield was very prolific, particularly in his thoughts on Mondays. Basically, he sums them up as thus: "I hate Mondays."

Yes, Garfield, we hate Mondays too. But this Monday, it was not so bad.

We took a day off from driving to get some much needed rest and some much needed exercise, as well as see a little bit of the Denver area. We woke up at 10:30am, which is really kind of like 12:30pm for us considering we just came from the East Coast. From there, Rhi, Alec and I went to Bruegger's Bagels for some breakfast, where Rhi's cousin Margaret met us. And you'll never guess who we saw there.


That's right: John Elway. I wouldn't have even noticed unless Alec pointed him out, but there he was in the flesh. Even in person he gives off the air of a Super Bowl champion, but at the moment I was too busy giggling to myself about how funny he looks to notice. Seriously, he looks sort of funny for some reason.

After bagels, Alec left us with Margaret, and we went to Red Rocks to get some hiking in. It was awesome.


We took that picture. Not that we're awesome photographers or anything, more like it's impossible to take a bad picture of the place. Did I mention these rock formations are 250 million years old?


Here's Rhi and I sitting on some rocks. Some 250 million year old rocks, that is.


That's Rhi's cousin Margaret Holtz. She lives in Denver and draws maps for a living, or something. Her job sounds complicated.


We spotted this house from a distance while we were on our hike. Rhi and I love mid-century modern and modern architecture, as well as adobe buildings. This seemed to be the perfect combination of the two, and it's also built on the grounds of a national park. What's not to love? Other than getting strange people taking pictures of your glass house with high-speed optical zoom lenses, that is.

After the hike a flirtation with altitude sickness, Rhi and I went back to Alec's for a nap and the Flyers game (WOO FLYERS!). Later, Alec had another appointment so we went to Margaret's for dinner, but on our way we saw a fox.


That's the fox we saw, about to attack a cat in somebody's front yard. This isn't the kind of fox I'm used to seeing in Philly. This thing was huge, and just trotting along the sidewalk in broad daylight. It looked and acted mean, and I was sure the cat was done for, but the fox was more of a wuss than he seemed and the cat scared him away. Denver is a strange place that way.

Anyways, so we went to Margaret's for dinner and played some board games with her roommates Allison and Grace.


Very nice people and all, we really enjoyed their company and they're sweet demeanors. But, I confess, I suspect them of cheating at Cranium. (You're supposed to actually imitate the people on the card, not just give verbal hints with no attempt at mimicking their actions. I'm talking to you, Grace.) (Sorry, I'm a sore loser.)

After that, we met up with Alec again to go see "Baby Mama," starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. It is hilarious, we all recommend it.

Now, we're really tired and going to bed. All this rest and relaxation can really take a lot out of you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very exciting trip so far!! Not much more to go. So when exactly did you break into our house?!?!?!? Didn't our scary watch dog keep you away?

Anonymous said...

Hey guys--your blog is great!

I know everyone will really miss you in sunny Philly, but I'm looking forward to seeing you both out here.

See you soon!

-Sean D.

About Me said...

Ok, so since Indiana pretty much sucked for driving (I agree about the drivers - try merging in traffic - they don't get the concept - and I grew up there!)...


I thought I'd throw out there that your buddy Garfield grew up like 5 minutes from my house. Seriously. Jim Davis, the creator/author/cartoonist/pony-tail having guy, had the Garfield studios like 5 minutes from my house. Have I left enough comments for one day?!